Vegan Avocado Potato Salad with Dill & Cilantro is a creamy and healthy version of the classic summer BBQ side dish. Nobody will miss the mayo or eggs in this dish and as an added bonus no worries about taking it to your next outdoor gathering!! Double bonus…summer slim-down approved!!
Y’all I am IN LOVE with this Vegan Avocado Potato Salad with Dill & Cilantro!!!
SERIOUSLY!! I don’t think I ever want to make potato salad any other way after having this one 🙂 I first made this a few weeks ago and have been dreaming about it ever since. I hate that it has taken me so long to get it on the blog…but things have been crazy…Hello! Did you hear that I’m engaged!!! So that means that I am in full wedding planning mode! No, we haven’t set a date yet 😉 We also just had our biggest fundraiser and event at work this week, but that was successfully completed on Monday night. I took one rest day yesterday and now it is time to talk about Vegan Avocado Potato Salad with Dill & Cilantro 🙂
Take a close look at all that yumminess!! Believe me when I say that this is a must try!! The recipe is super simple too 🙂 Double bonus!! All you need is potatoes, avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper and herbs of your choice!
I chose cilantro and dill as the herbs for this avocado potato salad, but you could really use any that you like or have on hand. I will say, though, that the dill and cilantro was an excellent combination, IMHO 😉 My inspiration for this recipe was this post with just a few modifications.
Now you need a pretty ripe avocado to really get that creamy consistancy that just makes this dish!! Plus using avocado instead of mayo and eggs lowers the calorie count significantly, provides you with those healthy fats that we all need instead of bad fats that we don’t and keeps you on track to getting into that dreaded bathing suit as the weather warms up.
So…lets get to it…
Here is your recipe for Vegan Avocado Potato Salad with Dill & Cilantro:
- 6 (approximately 2 lbs.) potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2-3 tbsp. herbs of your choice (I used dill and cilantro)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of cold water (the water should just cover the potatoes). Once boiling, add salt to the water and give them a stir.
- Boil (you may have to reduce the heat a little to keep the water from spilling over) potatoes until they are fork-tender, but not falling apart, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and spread potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes to cool. (This will keep your potatoes from crumbling when you stir in the dressing).
- While the potatoes are in the freezer, combine the avocado, lime zest, lime juice, herbs and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Take the potatoes out of the freezer when they are cool to the touch and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the dressing and chill until ready to eat.
- Best served chilled or room temperature.