Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is a quick, easy and yummy recipe way to use up those holiday leftovers! Reinvent the remaining, uneaten food into a comforting soup to warm you up on a chilly, winter night.
Sorry guys…I meant to get this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup recipe up quicker for you!! I was hoping that you could use it with this season’s holiday leftovers but procrastination got the best of me. Can I blame it on being in the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy??? I think so!! Anyways, I decided to go ahead and get it posted since it turned out so yummy so it could be used for future reference 🙂
Speaking of my pregnancy, we had a 3D/4D ultrasound the day after Christmas! She didn’t want to cooperate at first but we finally got a few good glimpses of our lil girl! I am 31 weeks, so she will be here in about 2 months!! Here are the pics of Miss Sassy Pants (that is what we have decided to nickname her) 😉
This Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup was one of those lucky kitchen experiments that make me so happy! I really hate to waste good food, but sometimes you can get tired of the same ‘ol thing. We had been eating our Christmas dinner leftovers for a few days and everyone was getting tired of them. Even ham sandwiches were getting old! LOL 🙂
The weather forecast called for a rainy day, followed by a cold front that would bring us much cooler temperatures so I decided to make a soup. I was covering some holiday hours at the art center so I wanted to use the slow cooker to cook the soup while I was gone. I thought I would experiment with a slow cooker ham and potato soup and just see what happened.
The result was amazing!!! I actually used our leftover ham (it was given to us, fully cooked so no recipe), scalloped potatoes and roasted butternut squash. It was so quick and easy and we LOVED IT!! This is definitely going to be my go-to recipe for using up holiday leftovers!!
- 1 large, yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 - 2 lbs. of leftover holiday ham, chopped
- Approximately 4 cups leftover holiday potatoes (scalloped, mashed, etc.)
- 1 cup leftover roasted butternut squash, chopped
- 2 tsp. Herbs de Provence
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. frozen sweet garden peas
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Spray the bowl of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add onions and garlic to the bottom of the bowl.
- Top with chopped ham, potatoes and butternut squash.
- Add herbs de provence, bay leaves and pepper (salt is probably not needed due to the salt in the ham and potatoes, but add some if you feel it is necessary)
- Add chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Use a potato masher, if needed, to break down potatoes further.
- Add greek yogurt and peas. Stir to combine.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes to heat through.
- Serve with additional greek yogurt or sour cream and crackers, if desired.