Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce is a dinner recipe for the easiest homemade healthy pasta sauce. Make a meal out of the tomatoes overflowing from your garden!
It’s officially summer y’all!! I don’t know about your neck of the woods, but around here it has felt like summer for quite a while. Especially the past couple of weeks when we have been dealing with 95+ temperatures with heat indexes over 100. Today’s heat index is supposed to get up to 109!! Yikes, it is a scorcher!! I am trying not to think about how much my electricity bill will be since the air conditioner is running constantly…
One good thing about all the heat, is that my tomatoes are finally ripening 🙂 The problem is that they are ripening all at once so I have to find ways to use up all of those tomatoes that are overflowing from my little garden. Note to self…plant fewer tomato plants next year! Those little tiny plants grow into great big ones that take over your garden!! So sorry to the herbs that got trampled by my now huge tomato plants 🙁
I thought that since I planted all “mini” tomatoes (different varieties but mostly cherry and grape), that the plants might not get so big. I was wrong, but I am totally not complaining because I get handfulls of mini beauties on a daily basis. I was on the hunt for what to do with all of my tomatoes and came across this recipe and decided it was time to make some spaghetti for dinner.
Here are those beauties right out of the oven! I could eat them like candy 😉 Am I the only one?
One of the great things about this Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce is that you don’t have to worry with peeling your tomatoes, which can be such a pain in the butt!! With the mini tomatoes, you can just use an immersian blender or food processor to blend the skins right into the sauce 🙂
I love my Cuisinart Immersion Blender and it made blending up this sauce a breeze!!
Here is the recipe for Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce:
- 4 cups fresh cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 box (14.5 oz.) whole grain or whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flake (more or less to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place tomatoes and 6 cloves of smashed garlic into a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 45 minutes or until they have released their juices.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat and saute onion and remaining garlic until soft. Add ground beef and brown.
- Cook angel hair pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup starchy cooking water.
- Remove tomatoes from oven and let cool slightly.
- Pour tomatoes, garlic, juices, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to large bowl.. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Add tomato sauce to meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add meat sauce and starchy cooking water to pasta. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese.