*My affiliate links are used in this post. However this does not influence or change my opinion. Thanks for using them and helping support my family and my blog!*
Mini Egg Muffin Bites with Spinach and Turkey Sausage is an easy kid-friendly recipe makes the perfect healthy on-the-go breakfast on crazy back to school days! You can customize these tasty bites with any vegetables and proteins that your family loves and freeze in large batches to make mornings a breeze!
Hey y’all!! I mentioned that last week we were on our annual lake vacation up at Lake Oconee and that it was a much needed recharge 🙂 I pretty much disconnected…I didn’t publish any blog posts and only checked Facebook and my blog stats occasionally, instead of the nearly constant inspection that happens most days 😉 It felt liberating to be free of the pressure and I am actually finding it somewhat difficult to get back into the swing of things…I guess it is the post-vacation “hang-over” or just plain laziness, but I am embracing it as a brief departure from my typical Type-A personality ways 😉
I have mentioned to y’all several times in the past our “tradition” for each family to take a day to be responsible for the food for the day. This works out great because: A) We all save a lot of money versus having to eat out each day of our vacation. B) It is healthier than eating out everyday…well for the most part 😉 and C) It take the burden off any one person or family to have to feed everyone for all 7-8 days that we are on the trip.
We usually throw in a day that we do take the boat to a restaurant on the water, maybe a day trip to Atlanta for some TopGolf and a Brave’s Game and then there is a leftover day because we all have that southern mentality of making WAYYYYYY tooooo much food because we are sure that we never have enough…can anyone relate? But it all works out quite beautifully and we <3 it!!
In the past, I have shared these recipes that I made for our lake adventures:
- Protein Packed Blueberry Muffins
- Santa Fe Chicken Salad Wraps
- Smoky Indoor Ribs
- Raw Zucchini Salad and Simple Summer Corn
This year, on our day, I decided to make these Mini Egg Muffin Bites with Spinach and Turkey Sausage for our breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised that they were such a hit!! Even the kids loved these portable little nuggets of yumminess…I was impressed!! My sister asked if I thought that they could be made in a large quantity and frozen for easy on-the-go breakfasts for craziness school mornings and I eagerly said, YES!! What a good idea!! She said that I really needed to put them on the blog and so here they are 🙂
The beauty of these Mini Egg Muffin Bites is that you could really customize them to your liking (or whatever you happen to have on-hand). I went with frozen spinach, turkey sausage and just a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, but you could mix that up!! I love buying frozen spinach and always have some in the freezer (yes, even on vacation). I think it is one of thes best bangs for your buck veggie-wise at the grocery store. It is like a $1-$1.50 (depending on the week and sometimes even cheaper…HELLO PUBLIX BOGOS! I LOVE YOU!!) And you get so much spinach that is already chopped and just a quick defrost away from being ready to use!
I wasn’t even planning on photographing any food during our vacation, but after the overwhelming response to my Mini Egg Muffin Bites with Spinach and Turkey Sausage, I decided a quick photoshoot was in order. So I put these shots together rather quickly (sorry they are aren’t super styled and all) to get these babies on the blog. Z man couldn’t quite figure out why I was taking pictures of the food that he had just eaten for breakfast…That was hilarious!! He had such a puzzled look on his face 🙂 This particular shot happened because lil man come over to sneak one more of the mini egg muffin bites, when he thought I wasn’t looking… I quickly recruited him to be my “hand model” if he wanted another one 😉 He thought that was really cool!! And on a side note…LOOK AT ALL THAT SPINACH!! And he happily gobbled it right up…
I originally found this Egg Muffins Recipe from Two Peas and their Pod and then decided to modify it just a bit so it would work for us! I love anything “mini” so that was the biggest change! PS…Check out this mini muffin pan if you need one for this recipe, I have a couple that are very similar. The ones pictured are a 12 cup mini muffin pan (which is what they had at the lake), but I needed 3 of them for all the muffins that this recipe makes.
Here is your recipe for Mini Egg Muffin Bites with Spinach and Turkey Sausage:
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey sausage
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flake, optional or more/less depending on taste
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray either (2) 24-cup mini muffin pans or (3) 12 cup mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add ground turkey sausage and crumble as it begins to brown.
- Cook until evenly browned and no pink remains, continue to crumble the sausage into little pieces. Drain if needed, return to skillet and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, crack eggs and then add milk. Whisk to combine and scramble the eggs. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flake (if using) and whisk again to combine. Set aside.
- Add thawed and thoroughly drained spinach to the pan with the browned turkey sausage crumbles and stir to combine.
- Fill each muffin cup about half-way full with the sausage/spinach mixture (evenly distributing the mixture among all the cups).
- Pour eggs into each muffin cup to fill almost to the top.
- Top each egg muffin with just a little bit of cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg has set and the muffin is firm in the middle (the edges should be browning as well).
- Remove from the oven and let set for a couple of minutes.
- Using a spoon, pop each egg muffin out of the pan and serve warm.
- Can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen 2-3 months. Reheat in the microwave.
Feel free to substitute any vegetables, protein or cheese you like 🙂
If you are lovin’ these Mini Egg Muffin Bites with Spinach and Turkey Sausage, then you might want to check out some of my other kid-friendly bites: