Kale, Mushroom and Beef Ragu with Super Greens Rotini is easy, weeknight pasta dinner recipe whole family will love!! They will not even notice the added vegetables, but you can feel good about all the nutrition that packed into this dish!
Now that I am not working outside of the home everyday, I have more time to watch daytime TV 🙂 Well…when I am busy with my new and super important job, nanny to my two 3 month old nephews! I am loving the time with them and they are teaching me every single day and getting me ready to welcome my own little girl!
The countdown is on – she will be here in 41 days or less and it is becoming very real! I have my final baby shower this weekend at my sister’s in Columbus and I am super excited 🙂 I will share with you all the details and hopefully pics coming soon to the blog so stay tuned 🙂
Back to the recipe that we are supposed to be discussing today, this Kale, Mushroom and Beef Ragu with Super Greens Rotini! It was inspired by watching one of my favorite daytime shows, The Rachael Ray Show! Rachael cooked a yummy recipe on the show, Beef and Eggplant Ragu with Rigatoni, the other day that I recreated for dinner recently!!
I made a few modification for this Kale, Mushroom and Beef Ragu with Super Greens Rotini due to my family’s preference and the produce that was available at the time at my local grocery store. I chose to use mushrooms and kale instead of eggplant. I also used this fun, new super greens pasta that I found and wanted to try. It was fabulous and you it doesn’t taste any different from other whole grain pasta. I did get some push-back for the “green color” but once they tasted it, it was fine. I also used balsamic vinegar instead of wine, fresh tomatoes and herbs de provence, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper for seasonings. To make this recipe vegetarian, just omit the ground beef! The ample vegetables would keep it very filling and delicious!!
Here is your recipe for Kale, Mushroom and Beef Ragu with Super Greens Rotini:
- 1 box (12 oz.) super greens whole grain rotini pasta
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 (8 oz.) baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 5-6 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried herbs de provence
- 1 tsp. dried or 1 tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. dried or 1 tbsp. fresh basil
- ½ crushed red pepper, more or less depending on taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Reserved ½ cup of starchy cooking water before draining pasta. Drain and return to hot pot. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil to the skillet.
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally while breaking up the beef, for approximately 4 minutes or until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan.
- Add tomato paste and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Season with herbs de provence, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flake (if using).
- Stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are softened and everything is cooked through.
- Add cooked pasta and starchy cooking water to vegetable/beef mixture.
- Stir to combine and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Top with parmesan cheese