Chicken Mushroom Rice Skillet with Asparagus is a one-pot healthy, easy & quick weeknight dinner. This flavor-packed dish can be on the table in 30 minutes or less.
So what do you think of the new custom blog design of Becky’s Best Bites?!?! I am loving this new look and feel 🙂 I finally took the plunge and hired a designer to create a custom blog design for Becky’s Best Bites!! I wanted make it look more professional but did’t want to take the time or effort to try to limp through it myself. I’m so not a techie!! I’d much rather be in the kitchen dealing with yummy food then dealing with code 😉 So I hired a professional!! I want to give a quick shout out to Laura from Pixel Me Designs (isn’t that a cute name too)!! She was amazing to work with, super professional, thorough and explained each step of the process in terms that even I could understand 😉 If you need a website designer, I certainly would recommend Laura!!
Okay…back to the post…
Chicken Mushroom Rice Skillet with Asparagus does fit into my “wedding diet” that I am sorta-kind keeping to 😉 No judgement please…I have lost 4 pounds but I think that is just stress!! Speaking of stresss…We are going wedding dress shopping this weekend!!! Yay 🙂 Hopefully I find one because I was told last weekend when we went to look just to narrow down what style I was wanting, that I should be ordering my dress now to get it here in time for alterations and the wedding!! Yikes!!
There is no excuses for not putting a healthy dinner on the table even on the busiest of nights with this one, folks 🙂 Chicken Mushroom Rice Skillet with Asparagus comes together in 30 minutes and uses only one pot, so there won’t be a lot of dishes to clean up and it doesn’t take too much time. Okay, what other excuses do you have?
None?!? Then what’s better than a meal that is full of protein from the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fiber from the brown rice, mushrooms and asparagus? Not much in my books 🙂 I love everything about this dinner recipe!! From it being so healthy and filling to being one pot and clean-up being a breeze!!
Here is a quick look at the process! I cooked the chicken and set it aside. Next came the rice mixture with the mushrooms.
These gorgeous asparagus are last to go into the pot. They only need about 5 minutes of cooking time. You want them to stay vivid green and crisp-tender.
My inspiration for this recipe was this post, but I made quite a few modifications.
Here is your recipe for Chicken Mushroom Rice Skillet with Asparagus:
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1.5 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- salt and Pepper, divided
- 1 large, sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, woody ends removed and chopped in half
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flake (more or less depending on preference)
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper pepper, to taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat, Add chicken and cook chicken until no longer pinck in the middle. set aside and keep warm.
- Add remaining olive oil. cook onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze pan. Cooking down the wine by half.
- Add chicken broth and mushroom. cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes
- In last 5 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Cover and continue to cook.
- Return chicken to pan and stir to combine.
- Add parmesan and spices. Give it a final stir. Serve immediately.