*My affiliate links are used in this post. However this does not influence or change my opinion. Thanks for using them and helping support my family and my blog!*
Cheesy Burger Skillet with Fresh Tomatoes, Broccoli and Rice is a healthy & easy one-pot weekday dinner recipe that is ready in 30 minutes or less. A new family meal favorite that includes fresh veggies and brown rice so you can feel good about serving it and the kiddos will love it!
I don’t know if it is the summer heat and humidity (which is almost unbearable even for us southerners that are used to it) or the fact that it is a coming up on a holiday weekend or if it is the fact that our annual lake vacation is only 2 weeks away, but my motivation levels have been plummeting over the past week… The struggle is real and I am only hoping that I am not alone on this? Pleeeeaaaasseee tell me that I am not alone!!
Well…that lack of motivation has spilled over in the kitchen and I haven’t been my normally eager beaver self that runs to get into the kitchen and cook. My meals have been a little less than stellar and I really struggled on a recipe to put up here on the blog. I went for this Cheesy Burger Skillet with Fresh Tomatoes, Broccoli and Rice because it was probably my favorite of the week and the fam definitely gave it their stamp of approval!! I thought it might be a good one for you to put in your back pocket as well. It is a real winner in the mom handbook!! It is a one-pot meal, that comes together in 30 minutes (hello weekday winner), and incorporates fresh veggies and brown rice with lean ground beef and just a little bit of melty cheese to top it off 🙂
Between the tomatoes in our garden and the boxes full that Dad got from one of his customers, we are swimming in fresh tomatoes!! Mind you, I am NOT complaining, but just really working on using up all of those tomatoes before they go bad. I have been going back and revisiting some of my favorite tomato recipes:
- Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
- Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce with Fresh Herbs
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Salsa
I have also been experimenting with new recipes, like this Cheesy Burger Skillet with Fresh Tomatoes, Broccoli and Rice and a pan seared pork chop with a spicy tomato sauce, which also went over well and I just didn’t get around to taking pictures of it so it could make it on the blog. I will try to do that next week…
We are going over to spend the 4th of July weekend with my sister that lives in the Columbus area this weekend and I was scared that we were going to loose the tomatoes that are already pretty ripe, so I went ahead and just chopped them up, vacuum sealed them (this is one very similar to the one that I have and love: http://amzn.to/29exKps) and froze them. I read that you can freeze fresh tomatoes without blanching so I thought I would give it a try… It was an experiment of sorts and I will let you know how it goes. If it works, I will definitely be turning it into a blog post 😉
Like I said, I used fresh tomatoes in this dish because we have so many on hand, but you could totally use canned diced tomatoes or even tomato sauce, if that is what you have on hand. Don’t have broccoli or the fam doesn’t dig it, feel free to use another veggie that y’all do like. I think that zucchini or green bean or even mushrooms would be fab in this dish!! You could even sneak in some leafy greens like spinach or kale. Just think of this as the basic formula for a crazy weeknight, one-dish (hello easy clean-up), on the table in 30 minutes kind meal. You’re welcome 😉
Here is your recipe for Cheesy Burger Skillet with Fresh Tomatoes, Broccoli and Rice:
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (93% lean or better)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 5-6 medium tomatoes, chopped (any variety that you like or use 1 can diced tomatoes or sauce)
- 1 (10¾ oz.) can healthy choice condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz. steam-in-bag fresh broccoli
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, more or less depending on preference (I used more because we like all things hot)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add ground beef and brown, approximately 5 minutes, drain if needed.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute for just a couple of minutes
- Add tomatoes, cream of chicken soup, worcestershire sauce, rice and water to the pan and stir well to combine. Season with crushed red pepper flake (if using), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Continue to cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stirring once or twice, as needed.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli according to package instructions and set aside.
- Once most of the liquid has absorbed in the rice mixture, add the broccoli and mix well. Test for season and adjust as needed.
- Sprinkle cheese and cover to let the cheese melt.
- Serve immediately and you should have leftovers for awesome lunches the next day (depending on the number of people feeding initially)
Here is your nutritional information for Cheesy Burger Skillet with Fresh Tomatoes, Broccoli and Rice:
So tell me…how are you spending the 4th of July weekend???
[bha size=’760×80′ variation=’01’ align=’none’]